J’Kaylin “JK” Dobbins does not get the notoriety of his Ravens backfield mate, quarterback Lamar Jackson, however the Baltimore rookie runner has began to point out the expertise that made him a high-upside second-round decide.
Thanks partially to accidents, Dobbins has performed a vital position within the Ravens’ turnaround. After seeing single-digit carries in his first six profession video games, Dobbins closed the season averaging 5.97 yards per carry with 651 yards speeding and 7 touchdowns in Baltimore’s ultimate 9 video games. His rookie season culminated in a 160-yard, two-touchdown efficiency towards the Bengals in Week 17 and he appears primed for a playoff breakout.
On paper, it should not be shocking that Dobbins can play within the NFL. He set numerous data at Ohio State, a college full of working again historical past, and even earlier than that, he was an athletic testing star in his days taking part in highschool soccer in Texas.
Setting data at Ohio State
It is exhausting to sum up Dobbins’ profession with the Buckeyes in only one or two numbers, so let’s go along with a listing, by way of official Ohio State statistics.
- completed his freshman season with 1,403 yards, an Ohio State freshman document
- is the primary Ohio State participant to ecplise 1,000 speeding yards as a freshman, sophomore and junior
- grew to become the primary participant in class historical past to high 2,000 speeding yards in a season, ending with 2,003 in 2019
- ranks as Ohio State’s second all-time main rusher (4,459) behind solely two-time Heisman Trophy winner Archie Griffin (5,589)
- averaged 106.2 yards per recreation over his profession and he totaled 5,104 all-purpose yards, with each figures rating second in class historical past
That just about reveals you ways dominant Dobbins was at Ohio State. Even at a historic faculty that is churned out numerous gifted working backs, Dobbins was about pretty much as good because it will get.
And to cap all of it off, Dobbins was at his finest within the final 4 video games of his school profession towards 4 top-notch opponents (Penn State, Michigan, Wisconsin and Clemson). He ran for 157, 211, 172 and 174 yards in these 4 video games, respectively, totaling eight speeding touchdowns. It wasn’t on Dobbins that Clemson nonetheless superior previous Ohio State in 2019.
Blowing minds with Mix-type abilities
Even earlier than arriving in Columbus, Dobbins displayed freakish athleticism. He competed at Nike’s The Opening occasion in 2016 and recorded the very best SPARQ rating, which basically accounts for general soccer athleticism. In that occasion, earlier than Dobbins was even in school, he ran a 4.44-second 40-yard sprint and vertical leaped 43.1 inches. Due to an ankle damage, we did not get to see Dobbins high these on the NFL Mix earlier than the 2020 draft.
Dobbins’ coach at La Grane (Texas) Excessive College as soon as informed Cleveland.com that Dobbins might’ve performed Division I soccer at 15.
“The reality is, as a sophomore at 15 years previous, he might have performed for 80 p.c of Division I packages,” Matt Kates informed Cleveland.com. “At 15 years previous. There isn’t any doubt. That is what’s loopy. Little doubt.”
Dobbins did full the bench press on the 2020 Mix, placing up 23 reps of 225 kilos, tied for fifth amongst working backs with eventual Packers choice AJ Dillon.
Aligning with Lamar Jackson’s profitable window
So long as the Ravens have Jackson and a strong protection, they will don’t have any selection however to view themselves as Tremendous Bowl contenders. And in a run-heavy offense by which a lot of Jackson’s personal working comes off choices with a working again, the RB spot can be essential for Baltimore to hoist the Lombardi Trophy.
In Dobbins, the Ravens discovered an on-the-rise rusher to pair with Jackson for the forseeable future. Mark Ingram is on the flawed facet of 30 and has battled accidents, whereas Gus Edwards matches in additional of a backup position. Dobbins is the true high-upside piece for Baltimore’s backfield.
On a rookie contract, Dobbins will not tie down the Ravens’ wage cap once they inevitably lengthen Jackson for enormous cash. That’ll give Baltimore not less than a pair years with a top-notch, low-cost working again to go along with its famous person quarterback. With a group that likes to pound the rock, that is the very best recipe to win a Tremendous Bowl.
Historical past of Ohio State RBs in NFL
As a result of we’re touting Dobbins as the subsequent huge factor to come back out of Ohio State, it is sensible to have a look at among the different strong working backs produced by the Buckeyes.
- Eddie George: 1996 Offensive Rookie of the 12 months; seven-time 1,000-yard rusher for Oilers/Titans
- Ezekiel Elliott: Via 2019, a three-time Professional-Bowler with three 1,000-plus yard speeding seasons for Cowboys
- Tom Matte: Two-time Professional Bowler; 45 profession speeding touchdowns for Ravens
- Robert Smith: Two-time Professional Bowler; four-time 1,000-yard rusher for Vikings
- John Brockington: 1971 Offensive Rookie of the 12 months; rushed for 1,000-plus yards first three seasons with Packers
- Pete Johnson: Ran for double-digit touchdowns in a season 4 occasions as a Bengals/Dolphins/Chargers fullback
- Archie Griffin: By no means reached his two-time Heisman heights within the execs; career-high 688 speeding yards in 1979 for Bengals
- Carlos Hyde: Had first 1,000-yard speeding season for Texans in 2019
- Beanie Wells: Ran for 1,047 yards and 10 touchdowns in 2011 for Cardinals